hlssink does not seperate ts segments when not going through encoder

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Tue Jun 15 14:03:55 UTC 2021

Le mardi 15 juin 2021 à 00:48 -0500, gugovind via gstreamer-devel a écrit :
> Hi,
> I have a RTSP source that I want to ingest which is already in H264 format.
> So all I want to do is just mux it and then save it as hls segments without
> doing any decoding or encoding. However my pipeline saves the ts file as one
> large file and does not follow the parameters specified in hlssink.

hlssink does not request keyframe. So you have to configure the GOP size (key-
int-max in x264enc element) in order to periodically produce IDR. Then the muxer
will mark the packet and hlssink will split on the closest next IDR.

If you want a tighter cut, use hlssink2, this one will deal with the muxer
(using splitmuxsink) and will request keyframes upstream, allowing for open GOP
at the encoder level.