Streaming an opengl texture over a network

Edward Anon blakat360 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 20:45:04 UTC 2021

Hi yu,

I am doing some real-time computation on multiple synced video streams.

I am currently using OpenGL compute shaders to do this. Hence, the current
frame of each stream is bound to a texture and passed to the shader. The
shader also needs access to some extra information between invocations so I
need to swap textures in and out between calls.  I want to stream the
output of this shader to another machine which will load that information
into an OpenGL texture and render it to the screen. I can't stream directly
to the screen as I am using OpenGL to render a rudimentary GUI on top of
this. I'm open to alternative solutions on this end of the pipeline.
However, for other projects, I will need to stream into a texture and use
that later so I thought it would be a good thing to learn now.

I've looked at the GStreamer docs for GstGLShader and I'm not sure how I
would set something like that up. There don't seem to be any signals to
change the bound textures between invocations. Also, I'm a total noob with
GStreamer so this would be my first foray into the OpenGL plugin. Do you
have anything closer to a user guide than the quick reference the docs and
gst-inspect provide? I have a lot more questions and don't want to waste
your time.

If the above is not possible I can modify my code so that the shader does
not need to change the textures it has bound between invocations.

Thanks