Stutter/Missing Frames Raw h264 over rtp.

RedMarsBlueMoon fred.sund at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 05:33:37 UTC 2021

Hello!
I'm running gst-launch with an Raspberry Pi 4b as sender and PC with Ubuntu
20.04 on the receiving end.
Locally on LAN Ethernet cable.

The receiver is getting a good image with only very occasional breakage. The
receiver also seem to be keeping the correct playback speed.
But it's stuttering, or maybe frame skipping.

The receiver PC is otherwise completely fine playing back other video files
with the same resolution and higher bit rates.

This is the command on the sender,  (GStreamer 1.14.4)

gst-launch-1.0 -v filesrc location=/home/pi/Videos/mulan_trailer.h264 !
video/x-h264, framerate=25/1, width=1920, height=804 ! queue ! h264parse !
rtph264pay ! udpsink host=127.0.0.1 port=8160

This is the command on the receiver,

gst-launch-1.0 udpsrc port=8160 !
application/x-rtp,encoding-name=H264,payload=96 ! rtph264depay ! avdec_h264
! videoconvert ! autovideosink

I tried adding that jitter step but it didn't help,

gst-launch-1.0 udpsrc port=8160 !
application/x-rtp,encoding-name=H264,payload=96 ! rtpjitterbuffer !
rtph264depay ! avdec_h264 ! videoconvert ! autovideosink

I don't think this is a hardware limitation but it seems more like there's
missing timing meta data on the stream, or that I'm not reading the stream
correctly or something like that?

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers!