gst-play vs ffplay efficiency?

amindfv at mailbox.org amindfv at mailbox.org
Sun Mar 28 21:15:03 UTC 2021

Not sure how I haven't noticed this before now, but:

When seeking with arrow keys, for everything from very low-res to very high-res video, gst-play has a noticeable lag, vs. ffplay which seems to immediately seek.

Also, for very high-res videos gst-play playback gets quite choppy while ffplay doesn't.

I'm running older versions of both players - the ones from Debian stable (gst-play-1.0 version 1.14.4 / ffplay version 4.1.6-1~deb10u1). Possibly a cause.

Is this to be expected?

Thanks!
Tom