newby help

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Mon Mar 29 05:06:43 UTC 2021

G’day

I tease my mate “windows is so simple” only a fool can use it.

I feel like that about gstreamer.

I have a command that works.

gst-launch-1.0  v4l2src device=$1 ! tee name=t \
    t. ! queue ! videoscale ! video/x-raw,width=768,height=576 ! \
        videoconvert ! xvimagesink force-aspect-ratio=false\
    t. ! queue ! videoscale ! video/x-raw,width=768,height=576 ! \
        videoconvert ! xvimagesink force-aspect-ratio=false

The tutorials say:

Please note that gst-launch is primarily a debugging tool for developers and users. You should not build applications on top of it. For applications, use the gst_parse_launch() function of the GStreamer API as an easy way to construct pipelines from pipeline descriptions.

WHY?

I’m trying to build a pipeline based on the above, but I do not understand the whole linking bit

in particular I think that linking the tee to each queue should be all that is required, but core-dump says I’m wrong.

Why the gst-launch above is that I need to have the sink windows have no decoration. I’ve made suitable canvases but I now need to reparent the xv window in a window of size and position I declare ie in my canvases. Any suggestions are welcome.

A while after instantiation the windows are called ‘gst-launch-1.0’ and I can manipilate them. But I often miss. I can catch them as “*” but I dont want ALL windows having no decoration, just the XV windows.

Please, a few moments to lead an ignorant soal out the swamp.

James