Reading audio levels from the PC audio output

Davide Perini perini.davide at dpsoftware.org
Tue May 11 14:58:27 UTC 2021

Hi all,
I know that with d3d11desktopdupsrc, ximagesrc or avfvideosrc I can
screen capture my PC using Windows, Linux or Mac.

Is there something similar to "audio capture" the audio?

I would like to get the "Audio Level" of the current audio output for
example speakers or headphones.

The idea is to get the audio level from everything that is producing a
sound on the PC,
example: spotify, youtube, a videogame, a generic media player, ecc. ecc...

I don't want to capture the audio of a specific software or of a
specific audio/video file,
I want to capture the audio from the system audio output.

It is possible for the video since I can screen capture it, is this
possible for audio?

Thanks you
Davide