Timing between AppSink and Splitmuxsink on Tee

Dwight Kulkarni dwight at realtime-7.com
Wed Oct 6 15:09:38 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I have a pipeline whereby an input source is going through a tee to an
appsink and a splitmuxsink.

                     appsink > new-sample call back > jpegimages
                  /
video >tee>
                   \
                     splitmuxsink > format-location call back > video_file

The appsink is producing a jpeg image on the new-sample callback and the
splitmuxsink is saving a video file of a certain time length.

I need to correlate the time in the jpeg image to the time in the video
file.

For example, suppose the video file is 30 seconds long. I need to know that
the current jpeg image is captured at 11.2 seconds

Is this possible using the gstreamer_clock. For example, I have the
format-location call back occuring on the splitmuxsink. Presumably when a
new file is started there will be a call to format-location, at this point
I save the current clock time (as the starting time).

When new-sample callback occurs on the other tee I compare that starting
time to the current clock time and the difference is how far along we have
advanced in the current video clip.

Is this the correct way to synch the two forks on the tee to a common time ?

--
Sincerely,

Dwight Kulkarni