How to mix live and non-live sources

Marianna Smidth Buschle msb at qtec.com
Fri Sep 24 10:59:06 UTC 2021

I have a use case where I have N live sources (v4l2src) from which I can
select to be the output.

I also need to be able to make a replay (seek from a filesrc).

My question is how to properly handle the mixing of the live and
non-live sources since the timestamps don't match.

The filesrc starts from zero (or the seeking point) and the live sources
have a running-time based on the clock.

Note that the pipeline cannot be stopped (live streaming).

I have tried different approaches: compositor, input-selector,
interpipesrc/sink (from RidgeRun) but I always seem to end up with the
same problems which I guess are based on the timestamp differences (when
having fx a muxer downstream).

I suppose the correct approach is to re-timestamp the filesrc buffers to
match with the running-time? can I have a specific example with the
math, so there is no doubt on the details?

How the segment fits into this? Do I need to adjust it? Is there some
magic occurring automatically?

Is there a difference if I'm doing it in MPEG-TS, H264 or RAW frames/audio?

Best Regards

Marianna

--
Best regards / Med venlig hilsen