Fwd: Adding MetaData to GstBuffer

Roshan Chaudhari rgc183 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 12:37:24 UTC 2021

Hello,

I am trying to append some metadata to the data transferred over udp using
gstreamer.

   1. I would like to know whether metadata in GstBuffer is
   transferred/retained when transferred over the network or it is only
   retained in that pipeline? I have tried using my custom metadata with
   gst_buffer_add_meta() at the udpsink, however, when I try to query it on
   udpsrc on other machine using gst_buffer_get_meta(), metadata is not
   present in GstBuffer.
   2.
   3. If this is not carried over the network, what would be the other way
   to add metadata? I could write custom plugin and append to actual data, so
   my custom encoder and decoder knows how to extract real data and pass it to
   next stage in the pipeline. But this way, it puts restriction on the
   receiver side to have decoder if my data contains metadata.

-
Thanks,
Roshan