Adding MetaData to GstBuffer

Eslam Ahmed eslam.ahmed at avidbeam.com
Sun Sep 26 08:50:54 UTC 2021

Roshan,

Regarding Transport Stream, you can use the MPEG-TS container to contain
your encoded stream as well as your metadata in a klv-format. Check this
out:
https://gstreamer-devel.narkive.com/GlIqaK1k/example-code-for-muxing-klv-meta-x-klv-with-mpegtsmux-plugins-bad-and-gstreamer-1-8-3

Just make sure to push klv metadata every video frame otherwise the
pipeline would stall. One useful thing to note is that your metadata need
not be in a klv format, you can just push arbitrary bytes as long as you
know how to interpret them after the demuxer at the receiver end.

Another approach is to use payloaders (e.g. rtph264pay) and encode your
metadata as RTP extension headers. see
https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/rtplib/gstrtpbuffer.html?gi-language=c#gst_rtp_buffer_add_extension_onebyte_header.
If your metadata is per-frame basis, then most probably and based on the
encoded frame size, one frame might end up having multiple RTP packets so
you will need to handle where to insert your metadata. You can use the
marker bit for that. see
https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/rtplib/gstrtpbuffer.html?gi-language=c#gst_rtp_buffer_get_marker

Final approach which is much more complicated which will require you to
create a new custom gstreamer media type (e.g. video/x-mytype) and insert
your custom metadata via gst_buffer_add_meta() in the GstBuffer and use
rtpgstpay/rtpgstdepay which guarantee to fully serialize/deserialize the
GstBuffer over the network. You would also need to develop 2 gstreamer
elements, one to prepend/append your metadata to your au-aligned H264 and
the other to extract the metadata from video/x-mytype and restore the
original stream.

Hope that helps!

Best Regards,
Eslam Ahmed