meson dependency question

jim jim at chaseandscout.com
Fri Apr 8 00:12:30 UTC 2022

Hi All,

I am having difficulty understanding the various meson options available.

I am building from the mono repo. I've made a small change to a plugin in gst-plugins-bad that requires a newer glib version than what is normally on my system. I see that there is a glib.wrap file that is at 2.70, which would be high enough version for me. But I just don't see how to force the configuration to build that (vs only relying what is on my system).

I know that I can do the following (and this works):
meson --reconfigure --force-fallback-for=glib build

But I'd prefer to put that option into a file so that a developer doesn't have to know about it.

I thought I could edit './subprojects/gst-plugins-bad/sys/uvch264/meson.build' as follows:
glib_dep = dependency('glib-2.0', version : '>=2.70', required : get_option('uvch264'), fallback : 'glib')

I thought this would find the wrap file './subprojects/glib.wrap'.

But this doesn't work ... the config step complains about not finding a new enough version on my system, and then doesn't seem to trigger building glib using the wrap file.

Any pointers as to what I am doing wrong?

thanks,
-jim