Pipeline Optimization

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Tue Apr 19 14:45:14 UTC 2022

Le mardi 19 avril 2022 à 01:20 -0500, Matt Clark a écrit :
> Thanks for the tip! I was wondering about those, but like I said, bit of a
> newbie. Here is my new graph:
> debug_session(sans extra converts).png
> Seems to be working still which is always a good thing!
> I'm all for more CPU optimizations (it's still spinning up almost 40 threads,

I count 9 streaming threads (thread induced by the pipeline design).

- 3 threads for the 3 appsrc
- 3 leaky queues
- 1 compositor
- 1 queue before hlssink (miss-placed btw, should be right after the tee)
- 1 queue inside hlssink

GIO will of course add couple of more threads, and some stalled thread will
appear since all this is using thread pools. But threads that are never woken up
are not a problem, it will use a bit (~2M but depends on the OS) of RAM each.
Overall, the thread situation does not seems dramatic. If the compositor could
be leaky, that would save you 3 threads.

Memory wise you can do better for sure. All the queues can be configured with a
smaller maximum size, most of them are set to default from what I see. You can
also work on your encoder configuration. At the moment, it will gather around 32
frames for observation and compression optimization. This likely gives great
quality, but might be overkill. Be aware that appsrc also have a internal queue,
which capacity can be configured. Configuring queue capacity greatly improves
the memory usage.