KMS to multiple displays, was Re: Building a graph for HDR10 output - stumped at sink

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Sat Apr 23 12:49:12 UTC 2022

Le samedi 23 avril 2022 à 16:24 +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan a écrit :
> On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 3:30 AM Nicolas Dufresne via gstreamer-devel
> <gstreamer-devel at lists.freedesktop.org> wrote:
> > Though, to get out of the toy land, kmssink would need perhap to be ported to
> > use atomic API, which notably allow trying calls without affecting other
> > surfaces. That would build up to the need for a shared display manager (also
> > known as a compositor), specially to coordinate mode setting. Which mostly boils
> > down to, why not use a proper compositor ?
> >

> Presumably the HDR10 requirement precludes the use of a compositor? Or
> do we now have a Linux compositor that correctly implements HDR
> features?

"correctly" is a vast requirement. Wayland protocol for HDR10 (and up) is still
under development. Here's some lecture:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/merge_requests/14
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/-/merge_requests/124
https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/blog/2020/11/19/developing-wayland-color-management-and-high-dynamic-range/