Love the idea of gstreamer; HATE the execution

Henning Larsen henning.e.larsen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 21:14:28 UTC 2022

As to the explicit frustration from Dave Blanchard:

> ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstSRTSrc:srtsrc0: Internal
data stream error.
> Additional debug info:
> ../libs/gst/base/gstbasesrc.c(3127): gst_base_src_loop ():
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstSRTSrc:srtsrc0:
> streaming stopped, reason not-negotiated (-4)

I have to agree that the error text is hard to grasp.
As a concrete example of where it could be improved a lot:

"reason not-negotiated" is actually an incorrect description of the error
that it is supposed to describe, because the interface rules _were_
negotiated but the outcome of the negotiation was "negative" or with "no
agreement".

So if the developers agree with this observation the term not-negotiated
ought to be changed to for instance not-compatible  negative-negotiation or
similar, like    Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas at ndufresne.ca>
explanation below.

Not-negotiated is an incorrect term for what is the problem. Error text's
should at a minimum not be misleading.

This was written with the hope to get something positive from this
embarrassing discussion.

regards
Henning

not-negotiated is translated to "Not negotiated" in english. It means that