tsparse and tsdemux

i.nixman at autistici.org i.nixman at autistici.org
Fri Feb 4 12:41:40 UTC 2022

hello,

I have the following pipeline to stream a mpeg-ts:

gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc ! x264enc tune=zerolatency key-int-max=1 !
mpegtsmux ! udpsink host=127.0.0.1 port=4455

then I use the following pipeline to save the stream to .ts files for
later streaming as HLS:

gst-launch-1.0 udpsrc port=4455 ! tsdemux ! hlssink2
playlist-root=http://127.0.0.1:8080
location=/home/nixman/t/segment_%05d.ts target-duration=5 max-files=5

everything works as it should, but I have a question: if I add tsparse
to the second pipeline before tsdemux, everything will still work
successfully.
the question is why does tsdemux work successfully without using tsparse
and when should tsparse be used?

best!