ORC support for arm64, and compositor performance

Mart Raudsepp leio at gentoo.org
Tue Feb 8 09:27:50 UTC 2022

Ühel kenal päeval, T, 01.02.2022 kell 04:04, kirjutas Nirbheek Chauhan
via gstreamer-devel:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 11:30 PM David Ing via gstreamer-devel
> <gstreamer-devel at lists.freedesktop.org> wrote:
> >
> > Nevermind, now I see the column "c64x-c" is compatible with some
> > arm processors.
> >

> Yes, ARM64 should work on most platforms since these MRs:
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/orc/-/merge_requests/50
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/orc/-/merge_requests/53

In my experience there are crashing issues still around when I last
tried (and there haven't been any relevant fixes on top as far as I can
see) for some compositor and/or scaling workloads, so personally had to
migrate back to using x86_64 for the time being. Running without these
orc NEON optimizations was too slow.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to narrow the crashes down much (time-
wise), but assumed it might be related to
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/orc/-/issues/20
and others.

I hope you'll have better luck, or the time to make sure things are
reported and fixed. You'll need to use orc from git or git snapshot, at
least until 0.4.33 is released, as 0.4.32 release does not yet include
this work from the referenced merge requests.
So also just a warning that it's fresh code that's not even in a
release yet, and you'll want to test this extensively before putting
into production or so :)

Mart