RTSP stutter when transport is using RTP/AVP/TCP

Howling wong watertreader at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 15 07:58:09 UTC 2022

Hi

I have an application coded with gst-rtsp-server library. It works fine when the client request for transport in UDP or RTP/AVP, video runs smoothly and correctly. However if the client request the transport in TCP, the video will be jumpy, stutter and frames will be displayed with latency(video will be displayed only for 3-4 secs then loop back). At times the video might refused to play (for file replay). This happens even though the application has only one client requesting the service

I have checked with wireshark and found the average bit transfer was about 800-900kbps, (when the transport is in UDP). The media stream is in 720x480 in h264 and AAC encoding

I have also checked my hardware setup (which consist of embedded board ucimx8 streaming to a laptop, via a cat5e cable) which theoretically should be able to cater for the traffic. Nothing else is streamed through this connection, saved normal traffic

I would like to enquire

  1.  whether is this normal for TCP video transport to behave in this manner?
  2.  What can i do to alleviate the situation? Any software aspect I could look into?

Thanks