No element "avdec_h264"

James jam at tigger.ws
Thu Feb 17 12:41:06 UTC 2022

On 14 Feb 2022, at 9:25 pm, yongcong wu via gstreamer-devel <gstreamer-devel at lists.freedesktop.org> wrote:

> Dear support,
>
> I installed gstreamer in centos7.9.
> #dnf install gstreamer1-devel gstreamer1-plugins-base-tools gstreamer1-doc gstreamer1-plugins-base-devel gstreamer1-plugins-good gstreamer1-plugins-good-extras gstreamer1-plugins-ugly gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-devel gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-extras
> I get this result:
> CentOS-7 - Base                                                                                                              1.8 MB/s |  10 MB     00:05
> CentOS-7 - Updates                                                                                                           7.2 MB/s |  16 MB     00:02
> CentOS-7 - Extras                                                                                                            104 kB/s | 310 kB     00:02
> Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:01 ago on Mon 14 Feb 2022 08:54:12 PM.
> No match for argument: gstreamer1-doc
> No match for argument: gstreamer1-plugins-good-extras
> No match for argument: gstreamer1-plugins-ugly
> No match for argument: gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-extras
> Error: Unable to find a match: gstreamer1-doc gstreamer1-plugins-good-extras gstreamer1-plugins-ugly gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-extras
>
> I removed: gstreamer1-doc gstreamer1-plugins-good-extras gstreamer1-plugins-ugly gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-extras, and installed the rest. After the installation:
> # gst-inspect-1.0 --version
> I get below result:
> gst-inspect-1.0 version 1.10.4
> GStreamer 1.10.4
> http://www.redhat.com <http://www.redhat.com/>
>
> Then I try this command (it works in windows):
> #gst-launch-1.0 udpsrc address=127.0.0.1 port=12001 ! tsdemux parse-private-sections=TRUE ! h264parse ! avdec_h264 ! avenc_mpeg2video ! mpegtsmux alignment=7 ! udpsink host=127.0.0.1 port =15001 sync=false async=false
> I get this error:
> WARNING: erroneous pipeline: no element "avdec_h264"
>
> I try to inspect it:
> # gst-inspect-1.0 avdec_h264
> No such element or plugin 'avdec_h264'
>
> When I try to inspect: tsdemux, it works, and shows detailed info. When I inspect avenc_mpeg2video, it also does not find the plugin. Anything else I need to install? What is the next step to check? Thanks.

Redhat like SuSE are anal about software patents et al.
For SuSE pacman has the additional rpm that has it. Pacman may have suitable for centos else you'll need to spelunk (crawl around in a dark cave looking) there are suitable rpm to be found. What this message does is assure you there is not some wonderous flaw in gst and unless some centos user can say ok-here you need to spelunk.
James