RTP streaming/tunneling over Internet

Chris Hallinan challinan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 21:18:28 UTC 2022

Hi Team,

I built an application for Apple/MAC to control a radio remotely.  I chose
gstreamer as the audio streaming infrastructure.  It works great with low
latency, etc.  Now, however, I'd like to get it working where I can be
remote (ie outside of my private home network.).  The "server side"
(connected to the radio on my private network) uses rtpL16pay through
rtpjitterbuffer to the remote client using rtpL17depay similarly.
Basically it just spits out UDP RTP packets on port 5000 to whatever remote
host I choose.

           gstreamer    Typ. Home      Public  Private      gstreamer
[radio] -- [Server] -- [NAT Router] -- [I'net] -- [NAT] -- [Client PC]

However, to the best of my knowledge, this is not routable over the public
Internet through my NAT router.  The basic problem is that I'd need to
configure port forwarding on the remote side for this to work, and when
you're sitting in a hotel somewhere, that option doesn't exist.

I'm figuring I'd need to connect in from a remote location to a "server"
element on my private lan (using port forwarding) and then somehow tunnel
the RTP audio back to me through some type of RTP-compatible tunnel.

Does anyone know of a solution to this?  I'm pretty handy - pointed in the
right direction, I can figure things out, but I'm not sure what direction
to go.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris