Latency tracer questions

Miguel Leão miguel.leao at bisect.pt
Wed Jul 6 15:57:03 UTC 2022

Hello,

I am trying to figure out the best way to measure the latency introduced by the elements in my pipeline. I was using the latency tracer, but when I introduced encoders and decoders (I am decoding H265 video that I received via UDP, and re-encoding it and send it again via UDP) the measurements started to appear faulty, as I was sending 50fps video and the tracer was telling me that the pipeline latency was 4ms. This doesn't make sense because I am sending a frame every 20ms, and I need full frames to encode/decode, so the latency should be at least 20ms.

I saw in the documentation that this tracer only guarantees good performance for sources, sinks and filters, is there anyway of measuring latency when using codecs?

Thanks in advance,
regards, Miguel