plugin stability (was Re: New plugin for ONNXRuntime)

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Sun Jun 12 15:04:15 UTC 2022

Le sam. 11 juin 2022, 03 h 30, Brad Hards via gstreamer-devel <
gstreamer-devel at lists.freedesktop.org> a écrit :

> On Saturday, 11 June 2022 12:58:58 PM AEST Nicolas Dufresne via gstreamer-
> devel wrote:
> > Somehow though your team will have to read the documentation to translate
> > this good, bad and the ugly joke into what this is really is.

Please read through all the discussion that lead us to this compromise into
getting monorepo. All this have happen in the public space. From there you
could lead a second round of disturbing changes discussions. I believe
though that after 4 years of majors disruptive changes we wanted to make a
pause and gives the distributors a bit of breathing. A short summary of
major changes:

- autotools -> meson
- anongit -> gitlab
- buildroot CI -> gitlab CI
- monorepo

When we did monorepo, we did not change the tarballs, meaning we kept the
original tarballs, base, good, bad, ugly and more. That implied stepping
back from removing internal subproject and limits the ability to rename and
move directories.

Breaking Linux distributions packaging requires a lot of planning, and time
to assist the packagers, and to reassure those that have a challenging time
with source code implement patents. In short, we discussed this already,
and are well aware of all the other improvements we could make with
removing the subproject. Notably, we could make use of unstable API in
stable plugins.