Image Processing Toolbox Matlab R2020b on RHEL: Could not read file due to an unexpected error. Reason: Unable to initialize the video properties

Rob Kudyba rk3199 at columbia.edu
Thu Jun 30 20:14:27 UTC 2022

> Le jeudi 30 juin 2022 à 12:10 -0400, Rob Kudyba via gstreamer-devel a
> écrit :
> > The Matlab script runs just fine on Matlab on a Mac and Windows 10.  Is
> there
> > really a missing plugin or does another ENV variable need setting? Math
> Works
> > support says this is out of scope from their support, which is pretty
> lame as
> > this toolbox clearly isn't working on Linux/RHEL 7.
> >
> > Here is the xylophone.mp4 file from
> > Matlab
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__drive.google.com_file_d_1bQ8cZ9g9rh7Z2Uu-5FkL-5FdqWTGDZeXxoiJ_view-3F&d=DwIFaQ&c=009klHSCxuh5AI1vNQzSO0KGjl4nbi2Q0M1QLJX9BeE&r=A1PpIFuwNsZIZlcr7NaIgFZiSHuhhsbxr5FZE49Rqxc&m=V-7d59_6tBEf8CDBvMP_QUwoO0ZkdCdrKFnec0AE3t7e2ZQBqs0mwNr-MULqWxjL&s=4qCTmzjiy8pEHTd_QOJpN3UKtOhKyjMV1GKHLKLe5os&e=
> > usp=sharing
>
> On Linux there is nothing that needs to be set, the path is embedded in the
> build and plugin should just be found.

Thanks for confirming that's what I thought.

That being said, perhaps you are simply hitting a bug in this old version of
> Linux/GStreamer. Current stable gstreamer is 1.20.3, you are at 1.10.X from
> about 5 years ago. Have you tried with RHEL 8 or 9 ?

No I haven't tried those since we're on RHEL 7. I take it that package
managers won't consider a newer version for RHEL7?

After a lot of trial and error I did find that
installing gstreamer1-libavm as well as gstreamer1-plugins-{base,good,bad}
from nux-dextop-testing repo plays both our mp4 as well as the test
xylophone.mp4:
gst-launch-1.0 playbin uri=file:///path/to/ColorSamplingVideo_May23.mp4
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
Redistribute latency...
Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock

Got EOS from element "playbin0".
Execution ended after 0:00:05.060604510
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Setting pipeline to READY ...
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

gst-launch-1.0 playbin uri=file:///path.to/xylophone.mp4

Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...

Pipeline is PREROLLING ...

Redistribute latency...

Pipeline is PREROLLED ...

Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...

New clock: GstSystemClock

Got EOS from element "playbin0".

Execution ended after 0:00:04.700583707

Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...

Setting pipeline to READY ...

Setting pipeline to NULL ...

Freeing pipeline ...

And the Matlab script runs.

Thanks so much for the response. Math Works support hasn't been as helpful.