gst-rtsp-server build failed - missing Gst-1.0.gir

Chris Hallinan challinan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 05:00:31 UTC 2022

> gst-rtsp-server is already provided by the macOS pkg files. Why are
> you trying to build it?

Because I didn't know any better!  Many thanks for the tips.  Tonight while
poking around the binary install, I found gst-validate-rtsp-server-1.0

After some trial and error, I successfully played a .wav file via the
rtsp-server (from the gst-validate-rsp-server-1.0 test app) as follows:

$ gst-validate-rtsp-server-1.0 --gst-debug-level=3
file:///Users/chris/test.wav

and on the client side:

$ gst-launch-1.0 rtspsrc location=rtsp://localhost:8554/test ! rtpL16depay
! audioconvert ! osxaudiosink device=76

Much more research to do, but that was a big step to helping me understand
how to begin building my application!!!

One peculiar behavior, though.  After the test audio file played to the
end, the client session never terminated.  tcpdump showed TCP keepalive
packets until I manually killed the client using Ctl-C.  I'm sure there's a
good reason for that, but I would have expected the server to signal EOF to
the client and the client (gst-launch-1.0) to terminate.

Thanks again!

Chris