Vulkan Example

Matthew Waters ystreet00 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 06:18:29 UTC 2022

Hi,

The GstVulkanImageMemory has field that specify the latest memory
barrier required by the next processing.  Have a look at what any of the
other vulkan element do with the incoming GstVulkanImageMemory.  They
only do memory barrier operations as currently everything occurs on the
same Vulkan queue.  Multiple Vulkan queue processing is a TODO item for
where that may make sense and there semaphores or events would be required.

If you need semaphores for whatever you are doing, you need to implement
that yourself.  Semaphores aren't needed for every use case, especially
when running on the same vulkan queue.  Pre-creating VkImage's is also
limiting for other scenarios and in general for GStreamer usage.

VkImage's area created as needed and you could either get a completely
new VkImage each frame, or go through a small number of them.  The exact
details depend on the upstream elements and e.g. whether they use a
buffer pool or not.

You need to insert the relevant barrier operation to ensure writes have
finished before you read from the VkImage as required by the Vulkan
specification.  If you are accessing the Vulkan image from another
queue, then you also need to perform a queue transfer.

You can keep a reference to the GstBuffer for as long as you like,
however that may cause more VKImage's to be created to accomodate your
processing.

Cheers
-Matt