Thread safety in GStreamer plugins

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Mon Mar 7 14:46:26 UTC 2022

Le lundi 07 mars 2022 à 13:23 +0100, Alexander Hedges via gstreamer-devel a
écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently quite confused about thread safety guarantees provided
> by gstreamer.
>
> My mental model of threading in gstreamer is that gstreamer manages
> its own thread pool
> in which the elements are run. Each queue creates a thread boundary
> that allows the user
> to specify which elements are run on the same thread. The main loop
> that does all the
> scheduling is run synchronously when `g_main_loop_run()` is called.

No, all the GMainLoop can optionally do is pull the messages from the bus,
GStreamer does not have a dependency on GMainLoop.

> So far so good.
>
> In the gstreamer docs it says that "GStreamer is inherently
> multi-threaded, and is fully
> thread-safe."[1](https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/application-development/advanced/threads.html?gi-language=c#threads)
> which makes me think that it is fully supported to have two more
> application threads that
> both have references to an element and they can change properties
> without having to do any
> kind of locking to coordinate access to the element.

Properties have flags (see gst-inspect-1.0). In theory, only flagged properties
can be modified while the pipeline is running. The flags will indicate which
states the property is valid to be modified. Arguably all the property change
should have been protected with a lock, though over time, some non-protected
property have been introduced and remain. If you hit any issue, file a bug for
the specific property (or make an MR).