Adding multiple Dynamic encoder + hlssink causes stalling issues

Guru Govindan gurunathan.govindan at gmail.com
Sun May 1 05:02:16 UTC 2022

Hi There,

I am creating an application for viewing camera feeds by creating an ABR
ladder for the requested resolution dynamically. The following is pipeline
I have that is static

gst-launch-1.0 hlssink2 name=ingest1
playlist-location=live/stream.m3u8 location=live/segment%d.ts
max-files=10 target-duration=2 \
 rtspsrc location="rtsp://myrtspcamurl:554/" name=rtspsrc0" \
 rtspsrc0. ! rtph264depay ! tee name=t \
 t. ! queue ! ingest1.video \
 t. ! queue ! decodebin ! tee name=decode_t \
   decode_t. ! queue ! videorate ! videoscale !
video/x-raw,framerate=2/1,width=240,height=240 ! videoconvert !
jpegenc ! multifilesink location=stills/stills%d.jpg \
   decode_t. ! queue ! videoscale ! video/x-raw,width=640,height=360 !
openh264enc ! hlssink2 location=360/segment%d.ts
playlist-location=360/stream.m3u8

I am trying to programmatically add the following dynamic encoder pipeline
like below

 decode_t. ! queue ! videoscale ! video/x-raw,width=854,height=480 !
openh264enc ! hlssink2 location=480/segment%d.ts
playlist-location=480/stream.m3u8

To add this pipeline I get a new src pad from the decode_t tee and set
BLOCK_DOWNSTREAM. It all works fine.

The issue I am having is:

When the pipeline runs for sometime ingesting the video and when I start a
new encoder pipeline, it blocks the other 360p ladder until the segment
count of this new hlsink2(480p) comes to the same number as the 360p.

Hence the stream.m3u8 of both the streams are unusable until then. It
almost seems like it is trying to sync the pipeline run time.

Is there a workaround for this? Am I supposed to be setting some
parameters? I have a working version of this in rust and is reproducible.
The code is in github -> https://github.com/ggovindan/abr_ladder

I really appreciate any help in this!!

Best regards

Guru