python plugin Buffer.map() not working

Dejan Cotra Dejan.Cotra at nttdata.com
Mon Oct 3 09:39:05 UTC 2022

Hi all,

Im writing python plugin, or better yet trying to write python plugin 🙂

Ubuntu 20.04.3
Python 3.8.10
GStreamer 1.20.1 (built from source)

Im writing Trasform plugin (inherits from GstBase.BaseTransform) and in do_transform_ip function Im trying to map buffer for reading and writing with:
succ, info = buf.map(Gst.MapFlags.READ | Gst.MapFlags.WRITE)

but when I try to write to info.data I get following exception:
TypeError: 'bytes' object does not support item assignment

Any idea how can I fix this? Is there some workaround for this?

BR,
Dejan