textoverlay

James jam at tigger.ws
Fri Oct 21 22:15:33 UTC 2022

Opinion and guidance please:

I've got a (simplified) pipeline that works

v4l2src ! tee  autoimagesink t. filesink

now I want to overlay 0..10 lines of text overlay.
I prefer individual line control, but if that is too expensive in CPU terms then a singe textoverlay

Is it better (CPU) wise to

a) v4l2src ! textoverlay ! textoverlay ... ! textoverlay ! tee

Where some textoverlay may have null text, or

b) v4l2src | tee
 and dynamically add and/or remove textoverlay elements

If I use a single overlay then the question is moot.

BTW testing with gst-launch-1.0 how can I input text with newlines. It's easy in C.

"line 1\nline2" does not work, neither does "Line 1^MLine 2"

Thanks
James