Cannot load Matroska Plugin built from source

Jon Lovewell jon at csoftware.co.uk
Tue Sep 27 15:06:13 UTC 2022

Hi All,

I have built the matroska plugin from source, using the 1.20.3 branch with meson and the msvc toolchain.  When I replace the actual matroska dll included as part of the 1.20.3 msvc binaries and then run gst-inspect it reports the following

(gst-inspect-1.0:17092): GStreamer-WARNING **: 15:44:18.959: Failed to load plugin 'path\to\gstmatroska.dll': The specified module could not be found.
This usually means Windows was unable to find a DLL dependency of the plugin. Please check that PATH is correct.
You can run 'dumpbin -dependents' (provided by the Visual Studio developer prompt) to list the DLL deps of any DLL.
There are also some third-party GUIs to list and debug DLL dependencies recursively.
No such element or plugin 'matroska'

I have also built the pango dll in the same way and when I replaced that and did the same thing the details of the plugin were reported correctly.

One thing that I have noticed is that the dll built from source can be inspected by the version of gst-inspect also built from the source.  Similarly, if I replace the dll built from source with that included by the installer and then use gst-inspect built from source then I get the same error as shown above.

My hunch is that it is something to do with matroska's dependency on the z and possibly bz2 dll's.
Installed version has the following dll's
z-1.dll
bz2.dll
gstbz2.dll

When built from source I only have the following dll
               z.dll

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on what I am doing wrong or what else I need to do when building matroska.

Many Thanks