gstreamer and AC-4 audio decoding support

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Tue Aug 22 19:18:45 UTC 2023

Hi,

Le mardi 22 août 2023 à 10:34 +0000, DUCHASSIN Frédéric via gstreamer-devel a
écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I try to gather information about support of dolby AC-4 audio decoding in
> gstreamer.
> I didn’t really find information about the status of such a decoder for this
> type of audio stream.
> Have you got information ? Is it available ?

We currently have mptsdemux and qtdemux (ISOMP4) support but no decoder yet. An
AC-4 decoder has been merged into FFMPEG in June this year, and will be part of
the next release. Meanwhile, you could prepare the mapping in
gstreamer/subprojects/gst-libav/ and send an MR so it ready on time for this
FFMPEG release.

note: I don't know AC-4 well enough to tell you if we will need an bitstream
parser or not.

regards,
Nicolas