Windows 11 support

Nirbheek Chauhan nirbheek.chauhan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 10:22:51 UTC 2023

Hi Collin,

GStreamer already works on Windows 11 simply because the APIs that we use
on Windows 10 continue to work on 11 due to ABI stability. This is how all
applications work.

You generally set your oldest supported Windows version as the target at
build time (Windows 7 for GStreamer), and then your binaries work on that
version and everything released after that.

Any features available only in newer Windows versions are detected and
enabled at runtime. Generally this is dependent on what SDK you're using to
build GStreamer.

We've been using the Windows 10 SDK (with VS 2017, 2019 or 2022) so far,
but in the currently-under-development version of GStreamer, we use the
Windows 11 SDK (with VS 2019 or 2022). This allows us to, for example,
enable runtime detection of the Windows Graphics Capture API which is only
available on Windows 11.

So in summation, GStreamer already supports Windows 11, but if you're
looking to use some specific Windows 11 features in some elements, you
should try the main branch.

Cheers,
Nirbheek