What is the highest gestreamer version on Ubuntu 18.04

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Wed Feb 8 17:47:50 UTC 2023

Hi,

> The installed gstreamer version 1.14.5 has a lot of memory leak in
> rtsp
> streaming. I want to installed the highest one possible for Ubuntu
> 18.04.

The main requirement to build a more recent version of GStreamer is a
recent-enough version of the Meson build system, which in turn might
require a newer python version than you might have available on your
system.

>From memory (on the Jetson nano running L4T Ubuntu 18.04), I think what
you could do was something like:

 apt install python3.8
 apt remove python-pip python3-pip python3-wheel (since this is
for the too-old python3.6)
 wget https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py
 python3.8 get-pip.py
 pip3 --version
 pip3 install -U meson
 meson --version

Which should hopefully get you a recent-enough meson installed using
python 3.8. (I'm sure someone will chime in if there's a better way.)

Obviously this is only a good idea if you don't have other python
things installed with the existing pip3, so please only try that on a
clean/new system.

Once you have a recent-enough meson, you can build an uninstalled
GStreamer version from the GStreamer monorepo:

 git
clone https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer.git
 cd gstreamer
 (optionally) git checkout -b 1.22 origin/1.22
 meson builddir -Dgpl=enabled
 ninja -C builddir
 ninja -C builddir devenv
 gst-inspect-1.0 --version

The GLib version on your system will likely be too old (2.56) for what
GStreamer requires (2.62), so the monorepo build will build its own
newer GLib as a subproject. It's possible that requires additional
build dependencies (-dev packages) and/or meson compile switches, I
don't recall, but it should be doable. Once you've got that set up you
may need to make sure that you've got the right -dev packages for the
various gstreamer plugins you need installed. sudo apt build-dep
gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good might be a good
start.

You can use this setup uninstalled, so that it doesn't mess up your
system deps.

The uninstalled setup won't pick up any of the nvidia plugins from the
system (if you're on such a system), so you may need/want to copy any
nvidia plugins into the uninstalled devenv if you want to use them.
Don't remember if there was any special to take into account here, I'm
sure someone will chime in.

Alternatively you could also use docker of course.

Are you sure what you're seeing are actually memory leaks? Perhaps it's
just memory allocator fragmentation? In which case running your app
with G_SLICE=always-malloc might help a bit.

Cheers
  Tim