Usage of the GstRTPHeaderExtension API

Serhan Gül serhan at fastmail.com
Fri Feb 10 15:35:02 UTC 2023

Hi,

I'm writing a custom header extension using GstRTPHeaderExtensionClass. Checking the implementations of the existing header extension implementations in GStreamer, I noticed that there are differences in the used API methods to update the payloader/depayloader caps. For example. rtphdrextcolorspace uses gst_rtp_header_extension_set_non_rtp_sink_caps to pass the payloader's sink caps to the extension and gst_rtp_header_extension_update_non_rtp_src_caps to update the deployader's src caps. However,  rtphdrextclientaudiolevel and rtphdrextmid use gst_rtp_header_extension_set_caps_from_attributes. Finally, rtphdrextstreamid uses none of the above methods; so it seems like it does not set any caps.

So I have two questions:
1. What is the difference between using these methods?
2. Why does rtphdrextstreamid not use any of them?

Thanks!

Best regards,
Serhan