GStreamer pipeline udpsrc randomly stops receiving UDP packets

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Wed Feb 22 18:50:14 UTC 2023

On Wed, 2023-02-22 at 11:54 +0200, Mikael Nousiainen via gstreamer-
devel wrote:

Hi Mikael,

1.18 is fairly old, it would be great if you could try a newer version
such as 1.22.x.

One thing you could do after you noticed it stopped receiving packets
is to attach a debugger such as gdb to gst-launch-1.0 via gdb -p `pidof
gst-launch-1.0` and then get a stack trace of all threads to see where
they're stuck and what they're waiting on.

> There is no output from gst-launch-1.0 process when the UDP reception
> stops and I have not noticed any kernel messages at those times
> either. It is difficult for me to enable very verbose logging in gst-
> launch-1.0, as the issue might take weeks to show up and there's
> really no easy way to find space for the verbose logs.

You could write a little application in C or python that creates a
pipeline using gst_parse_launch() and starts it up.

With an application you can enable the ring buffer logger
(gst_debug_add_ring_buffer_logger) to continuously log into memory.

You could then use a watchdog element in your pipeline to detect when
data stops flowing, at which point you can then grab the last X MB or
seconds of debug log from the ringbuffer and write it somewhere.

Cheers
 Tim