V4l2src ancillary data handling questions

Israel Díaz isra601988 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 08:38:38 UTC 2023

I'm currently working with an SDI video input that includes ancillary data.
I'm using the v4l2src plugin in my pipeline to capture this video input,
but I'm unsure whether the plugin will discard the extra data and only
output the video data. Can anyone confirm whether the v4l2src plugin
ignores ancillary data, or if it passes it through to the output as well?

For context, here's the pipeline I'm currently using: '*gst-launch-1.0
v4l2src device=/dev/video0 io-mode=4 !
video/x-raw,width=1920,height=1080,format=NV16_10LE32,framerate=60/1 !
omxh264enc target-bitrate=8000 ! video/x-h264, alignment=au ! fakesink*'.
My ultimate goal is to introduce this pipeline into an appsrc element so
that I can access both the ancillary data and the encoder-encoded data.

Assuming that the v4l2src plugin does indeed filter out ancillary data, is
there any way to use the v4l2 driver directly (without using v4l2src) to
access this extra data? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly
appreciated. Thank you!