Seeing huge volume of buffers with HLS/TS source compared to RTSP sources

Matt Feury mattfeury at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 02:15:02 UTC 2023

Hey Tim, thanks for the context and great questions.

I had a similar thought. RTSP streams itself "live" whereas the HLS stream
is served using .m3u8 files which are playlists of ts files. So I do think
perhaps the souphttpsrc is internally fetching the ts files as they are
added to the playlist in realtime, but those files are likely processed
"all at once" since it's then just a download of a .ts file. I'm not sure
how this could lead to what I'm seeing, but it is a good direction I should
keep chasing down. To answer your question, the HLS stream is a
"live" stream as well (it's supposed to be real time and i have even set
is-live on the souphttpsrc), but to my knowledge that's still served in a
playlist of .ts fragments, so will naturally be more latent.

I put an identity directly after the source (either souphttpsrc or
rtspsrc), and I am seeing buffers of size 500-1000 (roughly) with
souphttpsrc, whereas rtspsrc buffers are of size 50,000-100,000. so it
"makes sense" that the same h264 data would require *more *buffers if
they're smaller (hls) but less if they're bigger. But I just need to figure
out how to "combine them" so to speak.

I am going to play with clocksync and other sync attributes as well.

Feel free to correct any of my misunderstandings above. I'm fairly new to
the gst world but really enjoying digging in :).

thanks
Matt