Building and Installing the latest versions of gstreamer in Ubuntu 22.04LTS

GST Developer gstreamer at gallery.co.uk
Sun Jul 16 17:11:42 UTC 2023

Hi Folks.

I am trying to build and install the current gstreamer (1.22 or 1.23) in Ubuntu 22.04LTS
apt install will only get version 1.20 so I need to build from source.
This has proven to be tricky, and I wondered if anyone had a good recipe.
The first issue is the need for meson 0.62 (apt install delivers 0.61).  I have addressed that with a manual install of 0.62 via pip and this gets you through building sucessfully
However, when it comes to installing, with sudo ninja install we hit another issue, with mesonbuild which I have not been able to resolve. I believe some of the issue might be related to hard coded paths to specific binaries.

Does anyone have a known working sequence of commands to build *and* install GStreamer from source on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS ?

Many thanks !