Using PyGObject to control gstreamer under MSYS2 from windows

Peter peterswanston at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 06:01:36 UTC 2023

Hello,

I am attempting to port a python linux application that uses PyGObject to
interact with gstreamer over to windows.
It also makes use of the python3 plugin loader included with the debian
package gstreamer1.0-python3-plugin-loader.
I am running into 2 problems.

1) I am unable to get gstreamer to successfully run from within a msys2
console window.
I have tried very basic things like "gst-inspect-1.0" but it crashes with
an error.
I originally attempted to use the pacman packges included with mingw64
msys2 "mingw-w64-x86_64-gstreamer mingw-w64-x86_64-gst-devtools
mingw-w64-x86_64-gst-plugins-base" but got a popup error "Unspecified fatal
error encountered, aborting".
So I then uninstalled those pacman packages and installed the MingW x86_64
runtime installer from the gstreamer website "
https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/windows/1.22.5/mingw/gstreamer-1.0-mingw-x86_64-1.22.5.msi
.".
I still get the exact same error though whenever I try to launch the
program from either MSYS2, MSYS2 MingW64, MSYS2 ucrt64 (all three different
shells).
When I run the command from a command prompt "cmd.exe" it runs fine though.

I'm not sure but is there a way to get gstreamer to run within an msys2
shell context on windows?
it seems like the only way to use PyGObject is from within an msys2 shell
unless I'm mistaken so I'm not sure if this means it's not possible to
interact with gstreamer or PyGObject or not.

2) Assuming it is possible to interact with gstreamer using PyGObject on
windows under msys2  (or otherwise if possible). Is there some equivalent
to the debian package of gstreamer1.0-python3-plugin-loader for arch? or
whatever packages are used by msys2 to install gstreamer? Perhaps it is
included within one of the other packages and not broken out into it's own
package?

It seems like perhaps I need to port my python application to c++ if I hope
to get it running on windows.

Thanks for any assistance,

Peter