audiodynamic plugin just distorts audio

Simon Blandford simon at bkconnect.net
Tue Jun 20 10:39:37 UTC 2023

Hi,

I am trying to use the audiodynamic plugin but whatever I do it only
causes waveform distortion. I had a look at the source code and it seems
to me that it is literally applying the threshold and ratio to every
single audio sample rather than detecting the output level as a peak/rms
level, applying the threshold and ratio to that, then applying gain to
the audio samples based on the that level.

Am I missing something or is this plugin really as broken as I think it is?

For example, the following launch line results in a pretty nasty
distortion and clipping of a sawtooth wave.

gst-launch-1.0 audiotestsrc wave=saw ! audiodynamic
characteristics=soft-knee mode=compressor threshold=0.2 ratio=40 !
autoaudiosink

I am really looking for an audio peak limiter with makeup gain. I tried
the lsp-plug-in-plugins-lv2-compressor-stereo plugin too but none of the
parameters seem to do anything, not even input or output gain.

Thanks & regards,

Simon