Detect encoding type from rtsp streamings

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia guille.rodriguez at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 16:04:07 UTC 2023

Hi,

El jue, 22 jun 2023 a las 17:39, Nicolas Dufresne via gstreamer-devel (<
gstreamer-devel at lists.freedesktop.org>) escribió:

> Hi,
>
> Le mercredi 21 juin 2023 à 12:45 +0200, Alejandro Vazquez via
> gstreamer-devel a
> écrit :
> > Hi, All.
> >
> > Is it possible to detect encoding types from rtsp streaming?
> > I saw that the element typefind can determine the media-type of a
> > stream  but the only examples I found always use a file.
> >
> > I use the example from
> >
> https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/application-development/advanced/autoplugging.html?gi-language=c
> > and replace the plugin filesrc with rtspsrc but I get a error.
> >
> > So I imagine that It is not possible or that I need something more to
> > get success.
>
> I suggest to use GstDiscoverer for the purpose.

But wouldn't GstDiscoverer open the connection to the specified URI, try to
detect, and then close?
i.e. after using GstDiscoverer a second connection would still be necessary
to actually fetch the data.

Isn't it possible to detect the type "on the fly" using typefind? Assuming
that we know that it is always a RTSP stream.

BR,

Guillermo