Watching Every GStreamer Element's Resource Usage Real Time

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Fri Mar 24 10:38:06 UTC 2023

Hi,

Le ven. 24 mars 2023, 06 h 15, Ali Buluş via gstreamer-devel <
gstreamer-devel at lists.freedesktop.org> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I can't figure out how to measure every plugin's resource usage for one
> frame. For example in this pipeline: gst-launch-1.0 rtspsrc location=
> rtsp://192.168.0.10:8080/h264_ulaw.sdp ! rtph264depay ! avdec_h264 !
> videoconvert ! glimagesink i want to see how many cpu,ram and gpu are using
> for just one frame.

The boundary of execution for "one frame" is ambiguous to start with. Where
does rtsp protocol handling goes? How do you correlate packets captured as
UDP packet and processed in the jitterbuffer and frames? How do you
seperate cpu usage per frame for element running multiple threads
internally and with buffering like codec/avdec_h264? I think this one of
these simple idea that are just not possible in streaming. This is quite
different from graphics pipeline in this regard.

If possible, i prefer doing this with python, by building the pipeline with