RTSP stream, effect of max-lateness + qos

cfd new newcfd at yahoo.com
Fri May 12 15:42:04 UTC 2023

 avdec uses CPU for decoding and makes your CPU very busy. Try to use vaapi or va decoder with GPU acceleration to reduce CPU load.

    On Friday, May 12, 2023, 08:45:28 a.m. EDT, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia via gstreamer-devel <gstreamer-devel at lists.freedesktop.org> wrote:

 Hi all,
I have an embedded device showing RTSP / H.264 video streams from IP cameras.
The pipeline is more or less like this:
gst-launch-1.0 rtspsrc XXX ! rtph264depay ! h264parse ! avdec_h264 ! waylandsink
In some cases the resolution of the video stream is too high for the device to decode comfortably (unfortunately this is not something I can control). In these cases, Gstreamer (waylandsink actually I guess) decides that the frames are arriving too late, and discards them. The result is that the video is frozen (or almost -- I see a frame being displayed every now and then).
I thought that displaying late frames was better than displaying a frozen video so I tried to add max-lateness=-1 to the sink. However this does not seem to change anything. Next I tried to set qos=false instead, this didn't help either.
However setting _both_ max-lateness=-1 and qos=false does work. WIth this I can see the video stream even if there is a very noticeable delay.
I am trying to undestand how this works and I have some questions; hopefully someone can help.
1. Why setting max-lateness=-1 alone is not enough? If I understand correctly this should make the sink consider that no frames are late, so it should not be sending qos events. Why is it necessary to combine max-lateness=-1 with qos=false ?
2. What is the difference in practice between max-lateness=-1 + qos=false and sync=false? Both seem to achieve a similar effect, but I have read that "setting sync=false is almost never the right solution for timing problems".
Thank you,
Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
guille.rodriguez at gmail.com