Release RAM, when close or reload stream

Aleksandr Slobodeniuk aslobodeniuk at fluendo.com
Wed Apr 17 15:51:00 UTC 2024

Hi, this really sounds like a memory leak.
Quite likely that this will help:

1. set environment variables
GST_TRACERS="leaks(name=all-leaks)" GST_DEBUG=GST_TRACER:7
2. make sure that your application calls `gst_deinit()` before it
terminates.
3. run your app for a while (sounds like just opening 2 streams is enough),
and then close it (so everything gstreamer-related is supposed to be freed,
and the gst_deinit() is called afterwards).

If some of the objects (such as elements, buffers) remain alive (it means
there was a leak) at the moment of gst_deinit(), it will print a warning to
stderr, and will log each object in the gstreamer log (also stderr by
default).

If you have done all the steps and do not see any leak, it's quite useful
to add a leak on purpose to make sure the method works on your system. Like
just adding an extra ref on something.

If it still only shows the leak you add on purpose, consider building your
project with address sanitizer, this will catch all the leaks, not only in
the GStreamer-related objects.

Kind Regards,

Aleksandr Slobodeniuk

Senior Software Engineer