[gst-embedded] How to reduce gstreamer library size & startuptime

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 12:35:18 PST 2008

Hi,

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 10:28 +0100, Wouter Cloetens wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 05:23:40PM +0800, Zhao Liang-E3423C wrote:
> > 1. disable many unused features
> > 2. disable debug/trace
> > 3. use binary registry or not use registry
> > 4. disable runtime check
>
> Has anyone considered statically linking plugins? I suspect that would
> be a rather big change, but you would win on startup time, in memory
> consumption and in runtime CPU usage.

  Most likely, the biggest time consumption in initialization is
checking for modifications of plugins (scannning directories, looking at
timestamps, loading them if changed, ....).

  We *could* add an option to NOT do that scanning at startup (if an
environment variable is set when running for example) and just load the
available registry.
  In embedded environments you are most likely not installing new
plugins very often, so this checking is almost never used but might cost
a lot.

  You are of course then left with the cost of loading the actual
plugins required by the application afterwards, but that's after
initialization.

  Has anybody done some timing to see how long gst_init() takes ?

    Edward

> bfn, Wouter

Edward Hervey <edward.hervey at collabora.co.uk>
Collabora Multimedia