[gst-embedded] How to reduce gstreamer library size & startup time

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at profusion.mobi
Thu Feb 28 16:42:16 PST 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:50 PM, Zhao Liang-E3423C <E3423C at motorola.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  As I am working on embedded device, my device has low cpu power, but  I
>  want to develop some applications, such as ringtone, which needs to
>  launch gstreamer quickly.
>  I find if we don't do any library cutting down, the gstreamer core
>  library is big, about 700-800 KB, but that will not match my
>  requirement, the time cost on loading library is long.
>  Another issue is that gst_init() cost much time.
>
>  So my goal is to make the best of  reducing gstreamer library size and
>  gst_init() time.
>
>  For library size cutting down, I have tried some ways, such as
>  1. disable many unused features
>  2. disable debug
>  3, not use xml registry etc
>  at last, the core library size is about 350KB
>
>  For gst_init(), I also did some tunning on startup options, such as
>  "disable option parsing" etc.
>
>  But I think it is not the best that gstreamer can reach, maybe there are
>  many other ways to do these, so if we can share our experience, I think
>  we can get better result.

http://blog.flameeyes.eu/articles/2008/01/17/today-how-to-identify-unused-exported-functions-and-variables

provides some hints on how to detect unused functions and globals,
this might help. Don't expect huge winnings because gstreamer is
already good, but it will cost you almost nothing to check...  If you
find something, then let us know.

As Edward said in a latter message to this thread, measuring/profiling
gst_init() will help.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi - Embedded and Mobile Software Development