[gst-embedded] doubt regarding CAPS

baskar r r.baskar at rediffmail.com
Sun Oct 5 21:14:18 PDT 2008

  thanks rene,

i want to know what is the use of _get_caps function.
when it will be called?
who will call this function?
how many times it will be called?
what will happen if my get_caps function simply returns TRUE and does nothing else?

regards,
baskar.

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 René Stadler wrote :
>baskar r wrote:
>>hi all,
>>
>>the types of caps in gstreamer is
>>1.simple
>>2.fixed
>>3.any and
>>4.empty
>>
>>what is the significance of empty caps.
>>
>>if i write a plugin with empty caps for both src and sink pads , how the plugin will connect to its peer element.
>>
>>regards,
>>baskar.
>
>As you noticed, it makes no sense to have EMPTY caps in any pad template.
>
>EMPTY caps can very well be the result of a caps intersection operation.  Like when you try to link two incompatible pads, core detects that the caps intersection in EMPTY during negotiation and the link errors out.
>
>-- Regards,
>   René Stadler

regards,
baskar.

There are some people in this world who die very early bcoz GOD loves them more.
But you are still alive bcoz there is someone who loves you more than god.