[gst-embedded] plugin class_init not called from test application but called from gst-inspect

ssn snara_2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 1 13:32:15 PDT 2009

Hi,

I am in the process of testing my gstreamer plugin element. I want to add a property to my gst element and I do that in the
my_element_class_init
method. I wrote my own test application to test my pipeline as I have a few elements that need to be linked in a certain order. My observation is that when I run
gst-inspect-0.10 my_element
I can see the property that I added to my_element. However, when I run my test app, the app does not recognize the property in the element that I want access to.

I install the property in the my_element_class_init method by calling
g_object_class_install_property.

This method does not seem to be called when I run my test app, but does get called by gst-inspect-0.10. Since the gst element is not initialized correctly in  my app, I cannot proceed further. There is probably something basic that I am missing.

This is a subset of the app code for your reference:
int main (int   argc, char *argv[])
{
  GMainLoop *loop;

  GstElement *pipeline, *my_element;
  GstBus *bus;
  gboolean gstRVal;
  char *filename;
  GstElementFactory *factory;

  /* Initialisation */
  gst_init (NULL, NULL);

  loop = g_main_loop_new (NULL, FALSE);
  /* Create gstreamer elements */
  pipeline = gst_pipeline_new ("my-plugin-test");
  my_element = gst_element_factory_make ("my-element", NULL);
 {
	  GParamSpec *spec, **specs, **walk;
	  guint nProps;

	  specs = g_object_class_list_properties (G_OBJECT_GET_CLASS (my_element), &nProps);
	  g_print ("Element my_element: Num Properties: %d...\n", nProps);
	  for (walk = specs; *walk; walk++) {
		spec = *walk;
		g_print ("Element my_element: property name [%s]...\n", spec->name);
	  }
          g_free (specs);
}
  bus = gst_pipeline_get_bus (GST_PIPELINE (pipeline));
  gst_bus_add_watch (bus, bus_call, loop);
  gst_object_unref (bus);

  gst_bin_add_many (GST_BIN (pipeline), my_element, NULL);

  g_print ("Running...\n");
  gst_element_set_state (pipeline, GST_STATE_PLAYING);
  g_main_loop_run (loop);

  g_print ("Returned, stopping playback\n");
  gst_element_set_state (pipeline, GST_STATE_NULL);

  g_print ("Deleting pipeline\n");
  gst_object_unref (GST_OBJECT (pipeline));

  return 0;

Thanks for your advice.
- SSN