[gst-embedded] [gst-devel] can playbin handle the sink with decoding functions?

Liang Zhao liangzhao.bit at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 18:41:37 PST 2009

Hi Donny,

Yes, I am working on the device with HW acceleration. My concern is how to
be compatible with playbin or playbin2, if the sinks are not standard as the
available sinks in community, such as the sink with decoding functions.

I think this may be a trend in embedded devices as these devices don't have
powerful cpu but strong DSP or GPU, and with HW limits, some data such as
audio and video can not be picked up after decoding.

Zhao Liang
2009/2/21 Donny Viszneki <donny.viszneki at gmail.com>

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 8:28 PM, Liang Zhao <liangzhao.bit at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > If I have a audio sink with decoding functions, that means this audiosink
> > can decode encoded data and render it to audio device. Can playbin handle
> > this type audio sink well?
>
> Probably not.
>
> > From code, I find playbin is using decodebin to build pipeline, and
> > decodebin finds decoders from the caps in registry. In playbin, it will
> add
> > audiobin to route the decoded data to audio sink.  But if the decoder is
> > already a sink, the playbin still handles it well?
> > I hope guys can give me some helps.
>
> It sounds like you may be working on a gstreamer element for some kind
> of hardware decoder on a display adapter (video card.)
>
> The *most* ideal way to do this (IMHO) would be to use new caps to
> represent the APIs needed to move data in or out of this special area
> (the video card.) This would be a good first step IMO toward getting
> the GStreamer developers to include support for such a thing in
> official GStreamer playbin elements.
>
> I can't really speak on behalf of the GStreamer guys, but if they are
> similar open source advocates as I am, they probably are not too
> excited to support something like, say, a hardware DVD decoder.
>
> Can you tell us more about what you're working on?
>
> --
> http://codebad.com/

> Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San Francisco,
> CA
> Enterprise
> participation
> -Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source code:
> SFAD
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H

BRs.
Zhao Liang