Evaluating GStreamer

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Fri Jun 14 02:34:35 PDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-06-13 at 16:28 +1000, Sourav wrote:

Hi,

> One of the main concerns is for bi-directional data flows support and I
> suspect that existing solutions such as GStreamer tend to be one way as
> far as data flow is concerned. We will require bidirectional data flow
> for protocols like Modbus(req/rsp). Could bidirectional data flow be
> implemented in GStreamer? If so how?

I don't really know much about those protocols, but if you need
bidirectional flow of information, that could be implemented using
events, esp. for low-bandwidth control flow type of things.

I'm not sure if there'll be much enthusiasm for extending GStreamer to
support bidirectional buffer flows.

> Also since the requirement is for embedded environments,hence how
> feasible it is to have GStreamer as part of out embedded router
> environment?

GStreamer has been used successfully in many embedded environments. What
are your main worries here in terms of constraints? CPU? memory?
bandwidth? binary size?

Aren't there GStreamer packages for OpenWRT?