[Gstreamer-openmax] gst-openmax: "Pipeline doesn't want to pause."

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at nokia.com
Sun Aug 30 01:40:11 PDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 06:15:28PM +0200, ext John Bivens wrote:
> Hello,

Hi John,

> John Bivens wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > (This is my first post to this list, so please let me know if I
> > [unintentionally] break any rules...)
> >
> > A little background: I currently have some openmax libraries from a
> > third-party supplier (unfortunately binary-only, non-free software).  I
> > would like to integrate them into the GStreamer framework using
> > gst-openmax on an ARM11 system based on Wind River Linux.
> >
> > I have cross-compiled the GStreamer framework, various GStreamer
> > plugins, and gst-openmax.  I have also altered the element_table in
> > gstomx.c to utilize th third-party libraries and reference the proper
> > component names.  So far, so good -- I think.
> >
> > When attempting to run a fakesrc through one of the openmax libraries
> > and back out to a fakesink, I get the following error:
> >
> > # gst-launch fakesrc ! omx_h264dec ! fakesink
> > Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
> > ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause.
> > Setting pipeline to NULL ...
> > FREEING pipeline ...
>
> By way of strace and a few debug prints, I have found that our
> third-party supplier has implemented the OpenMAX specification a bit
> differently.  It seems the problem with the pipeline not pausing was
> actually an issue with a parameter being required for OMX_Init().  So I
> have gotten past this issue and am now working my way through the rest
> of their changes.  I suppose I should have dug a little more deeply
> before posting my question.

Good. Working with OpenMAX IL that's usually the reason for things not
working as they should: the implementation doesn't follow the spec
properly. Ideally you would push your vendor to fix their
implementation, but most probably first you'll have to implement some
workarounds.

If you think those workarounds can somehow be safe for other
implementations please send the patches to the mailing list.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras